White Composite Fillings Sydney CBD
White fillings can repair a decayed or damaged tooth with a seamless finish. Talk to our dentists about white composite fillings in Sydney.
One of the most common dental procedures, white fillings are suitable for patients of all ages, including children. At Sydney CBD Dental, we use white composite fillings to fill in cavities and small cracks in teeth, or to restore a chipped or worn-down tooth.
Unlike old metal amalgam fillings that are very obvious in the mouth, white fillings are made from a dental resin composite that our dentists can match to your original tooth shade. This offers a more discreet and natural-looking finish.
If you think you need a filling, make an appointment with our Sydney dentists today. Call (02) 9232 3900 or book an appointment online.
When is a dental filling needed?
If your tooth feels painful or sensitive, you might have a cavity or other damage. Our dentists will examine your teeth and use dental x-rays to find out what's causing your discomfort, so we can recommend the most suitable treatment option for you.
You could benefit from a white tooth filling if:
- you have a toothache or sharp pain in your tooth
- your teeth feel sensitive to hot and cold food or drink
- it hurts to bite down or brush your teeth
- you can see or feel a cavity (hole) in your tooth
- your tooth is slightly chipped or worn down
A filling can also help to protect a treated tooth against further decay. We'll explain what the dental filling procedure involves and any related risks so you can make an informed decision about your oral health.
Why choose a white tooth filling?
White fillings are an aesthetic and practical choice for tooth restoration. These fillings are made from a dental resin composite that can be colour-matched to blend in with your natural teeth, so no one except your dentist will know you've had work done.
Compared to traditional metal amalgam fillings, white composite fillings have a number of advantages for patients. White fillings are:
- More discreet – tooth-coloured fillings are less visible in the mouth than black or metallic fillings
- 100% metal free – composite resin fillings don't contain mercury or other potentially hazardous materials
- Less invasive – less preparation is needed for a white filling, which preserves more of the tooth
- Less sensitive – unlike metal fillings that can conduct heat, white fillings don't usually increase sensitivity to hot and cold
Do I need to replace metal fillings?
If you have existing 'silver' fillings, our dentists in Sydney CBD can replace them with white fillings.
Although metal fillings are considered safe, many people today are choosing to have them removed and replaced with a white filling to improve the appearance of their smiles.
Following are some of the reasons people choose metal amalgam removal at Sydney CBD Dental:
If you're considering replacing your metal fillings with composite fillings to improve your smile, call (02) 9232 3900 to speak to a dentist in Sydney CBD today.
How is a composite filling placed?
If you choose to have a white filling at Sydney CBD Dental, we'll explain what the procedure involves so you'll know what to expect.
Before we begin, we will numb the area of your mouth being treated using a local anaesthetic so you won't feel pain. If you have anxiety about dental treatments, we can discuss other sedation options too.
We will then open the cavity or damaged part of the tooth using a dental drill. This makes it easier for the composite resin to be administered. We will only remove as much of the tooth's structure as is strictly necessary.
After removing the damaged tissue and cleaning the area, we will then apply the dental resin composite and build up the white filling in your mouth. This resin bonds with the tooth enamel and hardens quickly to form a protective seal. Finally, we will sculpt and polish the surface of the filling for a natural-looking finish.
White fillings risks and recovery
Getting a filling is a non-surgical procedure with minimal risks. The treated tooth may feel more sensitive after the procedure, but this will usually disappear after a few days.
If a filling is built up too high, this can cause problems with chewing or put strain on the jaw joints. This needs to be corrected by a dentist.
If a filling gets damaged or knocked out, it will need to be repaired or replaced as soon as possible. Our dentists will inspect the condition of your fillings every time you visit us for your regular check-up.
What are the alternatives to white fillings?
- If a tooth is too severely damaged to repair using a filling, we may recommend a dental crown.
- If tooth decay or a crack has reached the centre of your tooth, you may need a root canal.
- If a tooth is too badly damaged to repair using a filling or crown, it may need to be extracted. Our dentists always try to save a healthy tooth and only extract teeth as a last resort.
Book an appointment for white fillings Sydney
Are you suffering from a toothache or sensitivity and think you could benefit from a filling? Contact our team today to discuss white fillings at Sydney CBD Dental.
Call us on (02) 9232 3900 or make an appointment online.
View other dental treatment options